
15 November 2008
So last night Kyle and I heard that the pub downstairs below our hotel room have live Irish music, so we decided to go check it out.
We headed down into the lobby and opened the door to what we thought was the pub. Turns out we went into the restaurant side. Immediately the waiter grabbed us and seated us, Kyle and I were about to speak up, but figured what the heck, and went with it. We were seated at a small table facing the bar, dimly lit by candle light. We both weren't hungry at all, so we decided to just share a plate of pesto tortellini. I looked around and saw couples all over, talking by candlelight, sipping off of Bud Light Beer! ( Bud light is considered " exotic" to them because it's imported) We stay around and chit chatted while we waited for the band to start. They played a few songs, and I was hoping for traditional Irish music, but it was all rock. So we ended up leaving. We were in the restaurant for about 2 hours, which is very common in Europe. Europeans are in no hurry when they eat. They hang around after they eat for a good hour, and you have to hunt your waiter down to ask for the check, its considered rude for them to bring you the check, they don't want to seem as though they are rushing you out of the restaurant.
The next morning we woke up, and headed downstairs for our inclusive, traditional Irish breakfast. We seat ourselves and start to look over the menu. It has 2 options. One is to get the traditional Irish breakfast, which includes: 1 egg, bacon, 2 sausage, grilled tomatoe, toast and black and white pudding. The other option was to get oatmeal. Kyle and I decide to go with the traditional breakfast. I read the black and white pudding, and my eyes lit up, because anyone who knows me, knows I have a killer sweet tooth. So I figured, pudding for breakfast?! Count me in!!
The little old Irish lady brings us our plates, and we begin to eat. Everything tasted so good, and I'm looking around for the " pudding." I see nothing on the plate that's in a " pudding " form. I do however see 2 little circular objects, that look like hash browns mixed with a sausage, one is black, burnt looking, the other is white. Being as picky as I am, I decided to save that for last.
Kyle and I both tried it at the same time. It tasted like turkey stuffing. The texture was very weird, and I instantly knew that this was not something that I should be eating. lol. Kyle, to no suprise, enjoyed them both very much. It did not taste bad, but I knew if I knew what was in these grainy, chewy little patties, I would not enjoy it. So I decided to carry on with eating them, gagging between bites, then I will google what they are when I get back home. I figured it was all part in traveling, right? Experience different cultures no matter what that meant you had to eat!
I soon find out, after googling it, that Black and White pudding is as follows:
Black pudding or blood pudding is an English term for sausage made by cooking blood with a filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled. Pig or cattle blood is most often used; sheep and goat blood are used to a lesser extent. Blood from poultry, horses and other animals are used more rarely. Typical fillers include meat, fat, suet, bread, sweet potato, barley and oatmeal.
White pudding is the same as black pudding, but without the blood. I was bothered for days knowing I ate that, but yet, I feel cultured for trying their food when I knew it was something out of the ordinary...for me at least!
Friday, April 24, 2009
Discovering Black and White Pudding
Posted by Ashley at 3:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment