BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Top O' the Mornin'

14 November 2008

We're in Ireland!

This is the trip I have been waiting for since I first saw a Riverdance show lol! Our flight from Frankfurt-Hahn airport was almost 2 hours. We flew on RyainAir for very cheap! For both Kyle and I to fly was around 50 euros.

We landed in Kerry County in Ireland. I was very caught off guard when we landed. The airport had one terminal, and it was about the size of a standard living room. We walked to customs, and I was confused as I approached the desk. A binder paper sign read " customs" and there were 2 older men sitting at a desk checking passports. Not a very ordinary customs inspection they have here before entering their country! Anyway, Kyle and I went straight to pick up our rental car which was parked right outside the airport. Just walking out to the Avis rental car place, I was stunned by the beautiful scenery. Rolling green mountains surrounding us, almost as though they were trying to engulf the airport. Everything is so incredibly green! The weather is not very nice, but hey, its Ireland! The cruddy weather hardly goes noticed when you are surrounded by such beautiful scenery. Anyway, when we went to pick up our rental we discovered our worries were true...The Irish do, indeed, drive on the opposite side of the car. This was a brand new experience for both Kyle and I. I then saw the car was a stick..I knew Kyle and I were in for an adventure!

Right after pulling out of the parking lot, Kyle was already drifting into on-comming traffic! I was anxious and trying to help remind him to stay on the correct side of the road! Eventually, we got the hang of it and we were off to find our Best Western hotel in Killarney. We drove about 20 minutes through the beautiful countryside and I was just jaw dropped at everything I was seeing. Everything smelled so fresh, and alive. As we drove I rolled my window down to smell the sweet smell of wet grass after a good rain. We finally arrived in the quaint little town of Killarney. This town literally has about 3-4 streets that run through it. Tiny little shops are stuffed together, almost as if each one is fighting to make its appearance on the street. Lots of boutiques and tourist-y shops. I couldn't help but smile when I passed the Irish and heard their accents, it then hit me, Im really here in Ireland!

We walked to our hotel and checked in. European hotels, i've come to discover, are just...different. The rooms are very small and there are SO many hallways, you feel like you are a mouse in a maze trying to find your cheese of a hotel room. We eventually found the cheese, and put our bags down in our room. I grabbed my coat and we headed back down into the town. It was only about a 5 minute walk from our hotel room. We were on the hunt for something to eat. We found a little cafe and walked upstairs and grabbed a table that overlooked the town. Kyle got the traditional fish and chips, and I tried their ham panini. We each got a Guinness, of course! We relaxed and enjoyed our food as we watched the Irish below us scatter and wander the streets.

After our meal, we did some window shopping, and admired the Irish sense of style. Eventually, the window shopping turned to souvenire shopping. I found some traditional souvenires for the family and headed up to the register. The lady at the register was very kind. She was giving us travel tips, and asking where we were from and told us some stories of her trips to the states. Very warm hearted woman. The Irish are VERY kind people, and one thing I've learned is that the locals can either make, or break your trip depending on how they treat you. We said our goodbyes and shuffled our tired bodies back up to our hotel. I hopped in the shower and got ready for bed as I heard the nightlife beginning below us out on the streets. Young Irish men and women dressing up to hit up the local pubs. I peek out the window and see heels clip clapping along the shiny black pavement as the nightime rain begins to fall, appearing as pixi dust being scattered amongst the Irish. I close the curtains and colapse down into our bed, preparring for a long adventure ahead..Blarney Castle tomorrow! Goodnight!!! xo

0 comments: